How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9093
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My husband and I will be separated 1 year on 3rd February

Customer Question

My husband and I will be separated 1 year on 3rd February 2020.he has agreed verbally for me to keep the house what procedure do I take..
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet I’ve agreed in return for the house which will be our daughters inheritance that I will not claim his pensions.he will be filing for divorce as I have a lot less income also I will be the one to pay land registry
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I am going to see a lawyer this week will take land registry deeds with me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mortgage will be paid in January 2020 but there will be a secured loan still to pay monthly with around £10000 outstanding
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Are you both joint owners of the house at the moment?. Aside from the house and the inheritance, are the finances agreed (for the purposes of the divorce?).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we have agreed
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

If the house is in both names then you would need to have a conveyancing law firm arrange a transfer of title so your husband's name comes off the deeds. That would then make you a sole owner.

In terms of the that plus the other finances then a signed consent order needs to be lodged with the court.

You can ask this company to draft a consent order for you :

Once decree nisi has been pronounced then the consent order can be lodged - once a family court judge agrees to the order it will be sealed by the court and both parties will be bound by the terms. The above firm can prepare the consent order and file it at court for you.

Any decent law firm local to you which deals with conveyancing can arrange for the title to transfer to you (for the property).

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Many thanks,