JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My husband and I will be separated 1 year on 3rd February

Customer Question

My husband and I will be separated 1 year on 3rd February 2020.he has agreed verbally for me to keep the house what procedure do I take..
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet I’ve agreed in return for the house which will be our daughters inheritance that I will not claim his pensions.he will be filing for divorce as I have a lot less income also I will be the one to pay land registry
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I am going to see a lawyer this week will take land registry deeds with me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mortgage will be paid in January 2020 but there will be a secured loan still to pay monthly with around £10000 outstanding
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Are you both joint owners of the house at the moment?. Aside from the house and the inheritance, are the finances agreed (for the purposes of the divorce?).

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Yes we have agreed
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

If the house is in both names then you would need to have a conveyancing law firm arrange a transfer of title so your husband's name comes off the deeds. That would then make you a sole owner.

In terms of the that plus the other finances then a signed consent order needs to be lodged with the court.

You can ask this company to draft a consent order for you :

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/help-and-advice/consent-order-information

Once decree nisi has been pronounced then the consent order can be lodged - once a family court judge agrees to the order it will be sealed by the court and both parties will be bound by the terms. The above firm can prepare the consent order and file it at court for you.

Any decent law firm local to you which deals with conveyancing can arrange for the title to transfer to you (for the property).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Many thanks,

Jim