JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I need advice on drafting a letter of financial agreement

Customer Question

Hi I need advice on drafting a letter of financial agreement for my divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Divorce is to be heard in a November. At decree nisei
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Sorry, pressed send too soon,! ...stage. Financial settlement agreed in principle. I have paid half and have letter from the other party stating the agreement. Not a legal letter. I wish to draw up a binding letter. How do I do this?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’m in Uk. Court hearing in Birmingham.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

A letter will not be binding in the family court, only a signed consent order will be.

Therefore, what you need is a draft consent order with the agreed terms in there so then ask your ex to sign it. Once it is signed, it can be lodged with the court for the family judge to consider and agree. If agreed, the order is then sealed and recorded - both you and your ex would be bound by the terms at that point.

The following company can draft the order and they even file it for you too :

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/help-and-advice/consent-order-information

Just to be clear - no letter will be binding - you need a consent order.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks,

Jim