JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Can a solicitor gain access to your bank account with out

Customer Question

Can a solicitor gain access to your bank account with out your permission
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Clacton on sea
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

The only circumstances a solicitor can do this is if :

1. They are appointment by the Court of Protection and act as a financial deputy (so they are allowed to do this) - generally this is the case if their client does not have mental capacity; or

2. They have a signed power of attorney which allows them to make decisions for you; or

3. The client has signed an agreement (a form of authority) allowing them access for whatever reason.

If none of the above apply then no, they cannot access someone's bank account. If they do you could report them to the Solicitor's Regulation Authority (SRA) for breach of their duties which they owe to their client.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks,

Jim