JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I've been text by British gas over the last five years to

Customer Question

I've been text by British gas over the last five years to pay up on an account I've never had with them . I've contacted them but every week I'm asked to pay up . They said I wouldn't receive any more texts .... but three days later it continued that was over 2 years ago.... I just want them to stop.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in the UK in the Midlands
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tried to text but was only a one way street. Tried to email but they keep asking for an account number before you can continue. I did call and got to speak to a real person and they told me this harassment will stop but it just continues I called again and was told it will stop soon as the information I have given works into the system. That was at least 2yrs ago ...and it takes such a lot of valuable time trying to stop this.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've never been with British gas and I've been with n power since 2006.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

If they do continue the harassment then make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

You can make the complaint here: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints.html

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to Ofgem (their regulator) - they will investigate and liaise with British Gas which would hopefully result in no more harassment. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted badly (which they have in my view).

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

You can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here : http://www.ombudsman-services.org

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim