Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Universal credit fraud- Back in March, my friend from

Customer Question

Universal credit fraud-
Back in March, my friend from university said that he has a method where I can earn £250, by applying through universal credit. At the time I thought nothing of it because while living at uni I was really low on income and having £250 would’ve been really useful. He said that I needed to show him a picture of my ID, how long I’ve lived at my address and full name and date of birth. Everything went according to plan and the next morning, £1500 dropped in my bank account and I was told that he would have to take whatever was left over from the £250. I did this again a month later and was so happy that I even got another one of my friends to do it. A week ago, I received a letter from Bexley Job center plus, saying that I will be interviewed under caution on the 12th of November and that the interview will be about me “misrepresenting my circumstances to obtain an advanced payment in which I was not entitled.”in the letter it says that I will be interviewed by specially trained officers from the department of work and that if the evidence shows that I’ve committed a criminal offence, that legal proceedings could be taken against me. I’ve also been told that my attendance is voluntary but if I fail to turn up that I could either be arrested,the case could be referred to the cps or suspension or loss of benefit. A few other people have been in the same situation as me and have only been asked to pay back the full amount of the loan, but I would like to know what you think I should say in the interview and what you think would happen next. I also go to uni and I am 20 years old.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 16 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, do you have student loans and maintenance?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello, I’ve applied for my student loan for this term but I’m still waiting for a response from them
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, this is serious and as such you will need to obtain legal representation for the hearing. With this in mind, I would advise you search on the law society find a solicitor search option here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

You can search by area of law in this case crime and town/postcode.

I hope this helps and would appreciate if you could rate me 5 stars in the top right of your screen and then Just Answer will credit me for my time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello, I understand that I would need a legal representative but in this situation what would you advise me to say in interview

Hi thank you for your message, you should obtain a solicitor to represent you at the interview. That said, I would advise that you should produce a statement in advance in conjunction with your solicitor explaining the background to the application for the benefits and the reasoning around the payments and then your solicitor can read this out and then make no further comments. I hope this helps and would appreciate if you could rate me 5 stars in the top right of your screen and then Just Answer will credit me for my time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But even if I explain the benefits and reasoning around me doing it, would this not still be disadvantageous as they could use this in evidence against me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have attached screenshots of the letter so that you have a full understanding of the situation
Hi thank you for your message, ultimately you have two choices either you admit what happened At the first opportunity they should give you credit for that and it might avoid a prosecution or you don’t admit it then they prosecute you and prove it because you admit on here it happened and any punishment is more severe because you didn’t plead guilty or cooperate. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.