Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

How do I get an Anti-Money Laundering Certification for my

How do I get an Anti-Money Laundering Certification for my Company?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Nigeria, but the funds that has to be transferred to me is in a Spanish bank
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was introduced to the Investors by a British Company acting on behalf of the Investors.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Please provide some more details of your circumstances.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I got a post Linkdin by a UK Investor, who made me to understand that there are some Investor that would like to invest into my Business in Nigeria. We signed an agreement for investment of $2.5m. The funds were to come from Spain, however after paying for Stamp duties, and other bank clearances, I was told by the UK Investors' lawyer that I need an AML Certification based on EU Fourth Anti-Money Laundering Directive for my Company before the Funds would be released by Caixa Bank.

Thank you. This certainly looks like a scam, which is clear from what has happened so far. This particular type of scam is better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are countless variations of such scams, the best way to determine if this is one is by identifying certain 'red flags' which are often present in the build-up. The following are the most common ones and if they have occurred in this situation then it is almost guaranteed it is a scam:

{C}· Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be a cold-call.

{C}· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons. You have already been caught out by having to pay for the initial fees and now the next step in the scam is this Anti-Money Laundering Certificate, These are fake, they do not exist and are very commonly used by scammers across the world

{C}· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith.

{C}· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new issues, which have suddenly arisen.

You need to look at reporting this to your local police or fraud authorities and certainly not send any more money.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes. Thank you.

All the best