JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Thanks for your support and help? Would you please revise

Customer Question

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your support and help?
Would you please revise the letter before sending?
How much shall I ask the builder to pay back?
What type of post shall I use?
Best regards
Nora
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim.

Like I say you should pursue for all of your losses.

If you would like to upload your draft letter, I can check it for you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jim,
I called the trading standard number. It is the citizen advisor number which I called before. The lady told me that I cannot contact the trading standard personally. She advised me to go to the county court.
Nora
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

You can speak to Trading Standards on 03454 040506 (other customers on this site have done so successfully).

You can use the county court but you need to send the builder a letter before action first of all, to give them 14 days to avoid court action by repaying you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Dear Sir/ Madam

Ref: [loft building, underfloor heating, painting, fire doors, tiling , plumbing, electrical work]
On 5 September 2016 I paid you £5000 for works to my property to start the work straightaway, but you kept delaying the start by one month. We agreed that work would finish in 10 to 11 weeks..

* You started the work on 5 October 2016. Therefore, the work should have been completed by the end of December 2016. Instead of starting building the loft, you claimed that a steel beam must be built down stairs. you asked for £4500 for the work. After digging, my setting room was completely damaged and I was forced to change the wooden floor on my expenses.

* From the beginning of December 2016 you started doing the work on your own. you did tiling, plumbing, carpentry and electrical jobs. 

* I sent you many emails asking you to finish and repair all the faults professionally within certain time but nothing has happened. You kept giving me appointments and excuses for not coming. You also ignored my calls and messages. You used to come to do my jobs in your spare time.
* You always threatens me if I don’t pay you will not finish the work but as soon I pay you, you start giving excuses for not coming. 
* Unprofessional worker were doing the work in my house. one of them is Danish Mushtaq, a Master graduate in business who used to come to do tiling and grout while the builder give him instructions over the phone

* On 2/5/2017 my neighbour Mr Dalawar Chaudhry called me to solve the problem with you. On 7/5/2017 he came to my house with you and we agreed for the work to be finished in 7 days starting 15/5/2017. Unfortunately, you finished another job for the neighbour in my street. Then, suddenly left to Pakistan claiming that your father was ill.
* I sent you a letter on 12 September 2017 asking you to fix your faults but you have not done much.
* I sent you a letter on 23 March 2018 but you refused to received.
* you called me asking for more money to come yourself and continue to work on your own.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires you to carry out the work with reasonable care and skill”. However, You are therefore in breach of contract because I have not used the loft for nearly 3 years now because of the following faults:
1- Jacuzzi is leaking to the setting room .
2- Many wall tiles in loft toilet are cracked.
3- Loft under floor heating is not working, it triggers the main switch and cut off.
4- Loft toilet seat is fitted too high. pipes under basin is leaking.
5- Wall under loft basin is not secured and needs tiling.
6- Extractor fan in the loft is not secured, rainwater comes in.
7- I feel electric current when using the tap water in the kitchen when the washing machine is on.
8- Driveway is damaged as many bricks need to be fixed.
9- Some spotlights in bedrooms don’t work because aggressive digging damaged the bedrooms ceilings.
10- kitchen window does not close properly as it was damaged by your worker.
11- Bricks on floor and walls around main door are stained with paint.
12- Grout is cracked in many places and came off kitchen’s tiles.
13- Uneven tiles in Kitchen, sitting room, hallway and loft.
14- Broken key is stuck in sitting room’s window.
15- The gutter was left unconnected in many places so rainwater keeps falling on my house roof and walls.
16- There were two openings on both side of gutter, which are not secured.
17- The new sitting room’s door is damaged and was fixed wrongly. 18- Fire doors and handles need fixing.
19- All fire doors were cut unprofessionally .
20- Bricks under patio door are broken.
21- Storage room is left not decorated as agreed in the contract.
22- Old staircase was damaged and left without repair.
23- New staircase was not finished correctly.
24- Electrical sockets are not professionally secured, screws come out easily.
25- socket in the first floor is loose is not fixed with proper screws.
26- Screw in the electrical socket in the loft are not the original you are using ordinary screws.
27- Patches of uneven and damaged paint are on walls and ceiling down stairs. The loft room paint was done unprofessionally. All paint must be corrected.
28 - External wall was damaged from aggressive digging and small pieces were falling in my bedrooms. I feel structural movement in my first floor bedroom and in the loft when cars pass by27- Compensate for the stairs and landing carpets that were ruined by carelessness.
29- Four wooden chairs and my new ladder were damaged.
30- No guarantee certificate for water under floor heating on ground floor.
31- No guarantee certificate for loft's double glazed door.
32- No receipt and guarantee for consumer box.
33- £ 200 was paid for loft room lights. You have not given me the receipt and guarantee.
34- You agreed on 10 years guarantee for all work in the contract. How can I claim it?

I am legally entitled to be reimbursed for the sum of [£60000]. I look forward to receiving your cheque for this
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Jim,
I sent the draft letter.
Can you please check it?
Nora
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thanks - that is fine - it covers the main points - just make it clear you will issue proceedings unless they respond within 14 days. You can add this at the end of the letter

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks Jim