Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was victim of assault in my own property by a builder

Customer Question

Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: the police arrived and allowed him to remove my goods and did not offer any support
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Ramsgate Kent
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They did not even give me reference no and feel violated
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I feel the police took sides and feel violated not only by builder but let down by them
How would you best advise me to proceed ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Do you want to sue the builder. I don’t think you would get more than £25,000 or ao

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The builder is pressing charges against me for assault even though I did not touch him.
The police I felt took his side and assisted him to remove my goods
At this point I have no idea why you are quoting suing for £25k as the job was originally £6k and it went up to £15k
I only want advice on how to proceed legally a) on assault charges and b) on criminal theft c) wit my police as I was very traumatised and they offered no support
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

have you been charged ?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Nothing has happened as such. No reference no or anything I had to find it today
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am bruised and have been vomiting and headache this weekend
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Ok. I am not sure what you want to know from me?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How best to proceed
What are my options on the a b c of the above please
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you advise me in making a complaint against police
How would you advise me in handling the assault charges against me?
Do you advise taking the builder to small county claims?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

a) nothing you can do. If you are charged then you can plead not guilty. It’s a matter for the police whether they charge you.

b) write to the police and make a complaint. You can then go to the regulating body if they don’t anything

c) you can take the police and builder to court for damages. But I don’t think you would get more than £10,000

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.