Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Assistant: How can I help? I am in Kenya and I bought a

Customer Question

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am in Kenya and I bought a vehicle from a company and paid 9,800 GBP
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: The car is faulty has scratches dents
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The delivery date not met had to hire a car
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have e mailed them that I want full refund plus damages
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

When did you buy the car and what condition was it described in prior to purchasing it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I bought the car online
There were no conditions
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The car was bought by me for my daughter in UK
Give me your e mail I'd I will send full details
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No live phone pls
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

No problem re the phone call and thank you. I am unable to provide my email address but leave it with me for now and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Can I please check if the seller was a dealer or a private one?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The seller was global international an export co
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Thank you. When a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that the goods must be:

{C}· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when received

{C}· as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase

{C}· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for

If they do not meet the above requirements, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller.

The rights against the seller are:

1. Reject the goods and request a refund – this is known as the ‘short-term right to reject’ and must be done within 30 days of purchase or delivery.

2. Repair or replacement – this can be done within the initial 30 days, or after that if the consumer can no longer reject the goods for a refund. It is the consumer’s choice as to whether they opt for a repair or replacement. There is a ‘one shot chance at repair’, meaning that if a repair has failed, the goods can still be rejected for a refund, even after the initial 30 days have passed. Alternatively, if the consumer wants to keep them, they can ask for a price reduction, based on what is wrong with them.

It is also important to note that the law assumes that any issues which develop within the first 6 months of buying the goods were present at the time of purchase, unless the seller can prove otherwise. If they develop more than 6 months after purchase, it is for the buyer to prove that they were there at the time of sale.

Once a decision has been made on which option you would pursue, you must contact the seller and advise them. If they refuse to discharge their legal obligations under consumer laws, you should remind them of these as per the details above. If they still appear reluctant to assist, write to them one final time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to honour your statutory rights, you will have no choice but to start legal proceedings to seek compensation.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you