12826847

I have requested a reduction in my hours from 16 to 12

Customer Question

Hello. I have requested a reduction in my hours from 16 to 12 hours. My manager and her line manager both signed off on this request but when it went through to contracting department they have rejected my request. This request was based on stress and not coping with the work load as I'm a student and have a lot of stress at home. My doctor has signed me off of work for 2 weeks which ended this Sunday gone. I have now been informed they are bringing my probation forward. I have been employed by them since the 10th of August 2019. I'm now at a point where I feel that I have no choice but to leave their employment. I am enquiry if this could have a legal case to it?
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: My manager is aware of the request to reduce my hours and she had approved the request. She was the one who advised cutting down to 12 hours I spoke to slater and gorden today but they want £250 for a consultant. Which is money I don't have if there isn't a case
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm a part time employee and I don't belong to a union
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's fine
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

What reason did they provide for rejecting your request?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My manager phoned me as I was booked off sick. And she said that she was sorry that the previous phone call where she had said the request had been approved was in correct and that the other department. I can't remember if it was timetable or contracting. Has said "absolutely not she has to work 16 hours"
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do not want a phone call I selected it by mistake
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system, giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.