Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Ben, If I may ask you one last question. You made the

Hi Ben,
If I may ask you one last question.You made the following comment:
"Clause 4.2 says that the fees are paid in consideration of the services, which implies that the services need to be provided before any fees are payable."If there is simply no work to be done, is it possible that the contract remains in force but there is no payment required?
I guess what I am asking is whether I am actually required to pay the weekly amount ongoing for 5 years if I am not able to find anything for this person to do. In that case I am not actually trying to terminate the contract, but there is currently no work required to be performed.
Could they make demands of me asking to still be paid and given tasks?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Thanks for getting in touch. I will get back to you with my answer later today. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. The contract states that they should give you on average of 20h per week to carry out the services. It would be too easy for you to say you don’t have any work for them and then get out of paying the fees, otherwise any contract could potentially be avoided in that way. They could always say that they are ready to give you the hours and that it is not their fault that you have no work and that they should still be paid regardless. Only if they were unavailable to provide the services would they not be liable for payment. That is my legal interpretation of this.