Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

After agreeing to purchase a horse if it passed a 2 stage

Customer Question

after agreeing to purchase a horse if it passed a 2 stage vetting which it did, I disagree with the vets finding as fit for purpose .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Somerset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ok . Firstly I have refused to collect said horse from seller as I disagreed with the vets report fit for purpose as a hacking horse. Horse lame 1/10 front 2/10 lame both hind . Horse also had "superficial scarring to one hind limb , calcified splint to another limb and swelling to both hind limbs Vet tells me that their finding Lameness in 3 limbs is only an opinion.I have tried to contact RCVS like treading treacle. CAB tell me that it is too complicated to take on.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure if I have outlined sufficiently but yes complicated as I do not know if I have by law a cooling off period to reject after my initial agreement to purchase with pass for 2 stage vetting . In my opinion as an experience horse person cumulative there are too many alarm bells going off.I paid £500 deposit and now seller demanding the balance of over £3000 .
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, the issue for you is going to be that you agreed to purchase the horse if they passed this stage. Has the vet stated it has passed this stage? Who supplied the vet, did you have any agreement as to who would choose the vet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I agreed to sellers vet .Yes vet stated passed a 2 stage vetting and is fit for purpose as a hacking horse but I have been informed by vet that this is only her opinion.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no thank you as I am deaf.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
NFU equine say she is un-insurable

Hi thank you for your message, I understand, the difficulty would be that your agreement was that you would purchase the horse if it passed stage 2 vetting. It did pass stage 2 even if this is just the vets opinion it is the vets professional opinion. The horse may not be insurable but that was not in the agreement. You can continue to refuse to pay and therefore, hope that the seller does not pursue legal action. I hope this helps and would appreciate if you could rate me 5 stars in the top right of your screen and then Just Answer will credit me for my time.