Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I got divorced 10yrs ago, and the time my husband tried to

Hi I got divorced 10yrs ago, and the time my husband tried to get the house sold but as I had his boys and was able to make payments this was thrown out but he was given a 20%charge on property even though he was only in the house 10 months. Iv recently remarried and he now wants the money , the boys are 15 &14 and I cant raise the funds but as he wasnt in house long and pays the bear minimum for his children and never helped with maintenance on the house. Is there anything I can do to stop this as I think were I have keep his children in a stable family home why should he benefit.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nope not yet
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Swindon, Wiltshire.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm is there a court order in place?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes I think so , it's on the divorce court paper work.
Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend the following:
1) check the court order to see if it states when he has the right to the funds I.e. upon sale of the house, when children turn 18
2) if the matter was to go to court it is unlikely that the judge will order you to pay the funds as you have children under 18. The judge will seek to make decisions in the best interest of the child and this includes them having a stable home, not to move them around from school etc.
3) in regards to child maintenance I would recommend that you make a formal agreement through the child maintenance services so that he cannot breach the arrangements made with them.
4) if he does take the matter to court you should find a solicitor in your area by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org you will be able to search by area and expertise.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Hi, hope all is well. I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.