Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Was just wondering can i name and shame a cowboy builder who

Hi was just wondering can i name and shame a cowboy builder who has done work on my house that was not finished and dangerous. I've gone through small claims but unfortunately he's won
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been going through small claims for well over a year I have sent the balifs to his home but he's told them he is shutting his company down he's got nothing so they can't do anything for me
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can i put him on face book

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What do you want to say about him?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want people to know what he has done so want to put on face book to tell.people and put photos up
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No as I've spent enough on this case and enough to the cowboy builder

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You can indeed name and shame them and leave reviews for example, but you just need to ensure that anything you mention is true and factually correct. Just think of it in the following way – if I am challenged about what I have said, will I be able to prove that what I have said is true? You need to be able to justify any of your comments if challenged because you do not want to be accused of making defamatory statements and the best defence to such allegations is to show that the statements were true.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes thank you I have no evidence of guarantee of the work he would not give to me but I have videos and photos to show. Just to clarify I can put on face book ?

You can put anything you want just be aware that if challenged over it, you would need to be able to prove it is true to defend any allegations by the builder that it is defamatory

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks one more thing I sued his company name can i also put his name on

yes you can if you wanted to, that is public informaiotn anyway - anyone can find out who is behind the company

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Alison

All the best