Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have to attend a disciplinary meeting, I am in a

I have to attend a disciplinary meeting, I am in a relationship with someone who then became a client of the charity I work for, I didn't disclose this information for 9 days. He had only had an assessment completed and was about to begin so support on the morning I informed my manager. I am now being investigated for entering into a relationship with a client. What should I do?
Assistant: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: The COE called me into his office the following morning to give my side of events, I was the suspended from work.
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I hold a contract, my job is Key Worker for a Charity working with families. I haven't spoken with anyone yet and no I'm not a member of a union
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, I have been employed for just over 6 years with no other issues

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just over 6 years
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can't afford it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry but I can't afford the phone call today

No problem at all re the phone call and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. In this case your best option is to explain exactly what you did, why there was a short delay in you advising the employer about this and make it clear it was not in any way intentional. If you have to apologise for any errors in judgment then do so and express remorse about your actions. In the end, it is better to admit your errors and apologise rather than deny you have done anything wrong and try to fudge your way through it, hoping the employer dos not believe this was an issue.

There is no guaranteed way of avoiding any further action but doing the above would probably give you the best chance of doing so.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben, This is the lone I was aiming for. Can you tell at the meeting who goes first, do they have to provide any evidence they may have first and then I get to defend myself?

It is up to the employer how the hearing is handled, who goes first etc. Usually it is the employer who would outline the allegations against you with the evidence and then give you an opportunity to answer them and defend yourself. You should also be given evidence before the hearing so that you have a chance to prepare. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes thank you for your support in this matter.

All the best