UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Please can you tell me how to take my ex wife's name as a

Customer Question

Please can you tell me how to take my ex wife's name as a benificiary on my whole life insurance policy? We divorced 19 years ago and she has remarried and moved abroad. I have been married to my present wife for 14 years.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: East Sussex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 9 days ago.

You need to contact the insurance company and inform them that you wish to change your beneficiary. They will give you a new beneficiary nomination form to complete and sign.

Please click on 5 stars for this answer if helpful.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have contacted the insurance company regarding this but they said they cannot help me. They said I must sort it out with my ex wife and then get a legal document drawn up. I paid all the premiums and don't want my ex wife to be the beneficiary or trustee.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 8 days ago.

You should lodge a complaint about this as you should be free to change your beneficiary as and when you wish to.

All the best.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Does this still apply if it lists my ex wife as a beneficiary/trustee please?

Yes in my view.

Unless your ex was a joint policy holder, you should be free to change her details.

Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It is my life policy. But myself and my ex wife are listed as beneficiaries/ trustees.

Please accept to continue and upload a copy of your policy.