UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I'm looking for a solicitor who would be able to write me up

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking for a solicitor who would be able to write me up a cease and desist letter that I need to give to someone who has been spreading around that I'm a paedophile, and ultimately I would very much like to take the person to court and sue her for defammation of character.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I had my internal team write her one but she branded it as being a "fake legal document" and made out I was sending her threats and then sent her 'henchman' to be verbally aggressive towards me (which was recorded on my audio recorder) and has since then been continuing with telling people I'm a paedophile.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CxkMmZ82Yfkt_CqNX3M_bD_4AQ08XmBmOFe0srbJfVc/edit?usp=sharing

This was the original one we wrote for the person making the claims to stop but she just continued and got worse with them. The rest of the stuff we have screenshots of and a bit of video as well. She's made claims online and then it's impacted on me in a real world way. And ultimately I want to take her through court and sue her for defammation of character.
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 18 days ago.

Hello I can help you with this.

I am unable to physically write one for you but I can give you guidance on what to say. With these letters if the issues do not stop then you should progress matters to the next step which is to issue proceedings.

Please let me know

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok well the first letter didn't stop her so is it already the next step which is to take her through court?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't have £44 :/

Hello. Ok if you wish to sue her basically you’ll need to be able to quantify your damages. What this means is whatever losses her actions have caused you, you need to be able to put an amount on. To do this, you will need evidence, to state how it’s affected you, and what the resultant losses are. Once you have this then yes issue court proceedings against the individual. Can I clarify anything for you?

Please ignore the phone call it comes up automatically I have no control over it. We can continue in writing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well she got me kicked out of a fundraising group that I enjoyed doing (it was volunteer work) and really helped my mental health. But without that I knew I had this other social thing called LCG (Leeds Cosplay Group) but then she went running to the hosts there and claimed the same claims and got me kicked out of it, I tried to appeal it and at first they were fine with me being there but then later claimed they'd already taken her claims up higher and it wasn't them that had banned me but the higher ups. Who I haven't emailed myself yet but I plan to. Things have moved on the last few days in that, she's continued to spread round to people that I'm a paedophile and now other people are sending me threats and stuff, I had to get my local police involved with that part of it, but even he said with the slander, they can't do anything about that part of it. Which is annoying. I don't know how to put an amount on it though? Is there like a maximum I put on to claim in damages?
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 14 days ago.

There is no maximum, but the amount does have to be reasonable to justify it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What amount would you say to be reasonable? Like if I was to say £5,000 would that be reasonable to claim for, or would that be considered too high or is it too low? I've never had to do this before. Apologies on the late reply I was at a convention over the weekend.