How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6581
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I stored I my furniture with local company removal following

Customer Question

I stored I my furniture with local company removal following the sale of my house, I have used them several times over the past 7 years and know the owner. In May this year, they had a massive fire at the storage unit and all my house contents were lost I was due to move into my next property the same week as the fire! I did not have contents insurance, as he assured me he had cover so only had buildings insurance during my renovations, I have now after 5 months received a letter from a law firm representing him and they state I received T&Cs (I did not) Which set out exclusions of liability for loss or damage by fire unless they have been negligent or in breach of contract which they state he has not and they conclude that as I made no declaration of value - no compensation is due ? But 3 weeks ago the broker dealing with this claim said I would be receiving an intermediate payment on the 21/10
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: talked only to the owner
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.



Sorry to hear this.


How much were your contents worth?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.


As you were informed that your belongings were insured, you may sue the owner for breach of contract and/or making negligent or fraudulent misrepresentations which has caused you damage.


Irrespective of whether or not the person was insured, you may file a claim in court for an amount equivalent to the value of your belongings.


It is apparent to me that the solicitors have been retained to fob you off and you may instruct your own solicitors and file a fast track claim online at or you may do so yourself.


All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
does it matter if I had no contract
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
and do I sue the owner personally or his company ?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.

It does not matter that you had no written contract, you could argue that you had a verbal contract which is equally binding.


I would sue both of them as co-defendants.


All the best. Please click on 5 stars