How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4641
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have a question concerning parental responsibility. I am

This answer was rated:

good evening, i have a question concerning parental responsibility. I am getting a divorvce in the uk (We got married in Poland 10 years ago, but have been living in the Uk for the last 5 years) The child concerned is my huband's biological child, who was born as the result of my husband infidelity in the course of our marriage. i took the child in and have been bringing her up along with my husband since she was born. In the child's eyes i am her mum, the only one she knows. However, my husband is her only legal parent, i have no rights. I would like to fight for parental responsilility, but i have been told, they need a document confirming that her biological mother was stripped off her parental rights by the court in Poland, which i cannot apply for (only my husband can do it) Is it possible to get the parental responsibility without this document?
Hi thank you for your message, were you named on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
unfortunately not, as i did not give birth to the child
Hi thank you for your message, you will now need to get a parental responsibility agreement if your ex would agree do you think they would?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he does not want to give it to me in writing. i have attended a mediation assessement meeting, he was invited but ignored that invitation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there another way to obtain the parental responsibility if he does not agree? i am a good mother he know that but he wants to have full control
Hi thank you for your message, it would be very difficult. The only option would be something like adoption which is almost certainly not going to happen sadly without his permission.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but is there another way to get the parental responsibility without my ex husband permission or the document stating that her biological mum has no parental rights? if yes, how can i obtain it?
Hi thank you for your message, normally you could go to court and show you are the parent but this is for dads proving paternity. As mentioned you could try to make an application for adoption. As you will be aware this is an unusual situation and you will need a specialist family lawyer to advise you further and represent you therefore, I recommend you use the law society find a solicitor search to find one near you. The search option is here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case family. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you