12826847

My wife is due in crown court as of the 28/10/19 she has met

Customer Question

my wife is due in crown court as of the 28/10/19 she has met her barrister at their office and reviewed some cctv evidence, which cost £2000 for them to call for the evidence. We have had no further correspondence with them. The original barrister that she had has since left the firm and now they are asking for another £4250 to proceed with the case. She could be called to court the following day after the cases have been presented with no meetings about the case. Is this standard procedure? as i think this is a lot of money for very little work on their behalf. I have made a statement to which they have said that they would return to me to sign. I have received no correspondance
JA: Where is your wife? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: we live in luton but the trial is St Albans Crown Court
JA: What steps has your wife taken so far?
Customer: hi, I have been to the plea hearing and pleaded not guilty as I was pushed over by the defendant. I had a meeting with my counsel in August but she has since left and I have not met with a 'new' barrister or my case manager.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything you particular you think I should disclose before we connect?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

That is fairly standard procedure.

The reality is that if you don't pay or make legal aid contributions they just won't attend.

£4250 is really not a lot of money for a professional person to attend court but whether it is or not, unless you agree something, they just won't attend.

jo

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I have had more preparatory meetings with them? I will only meet the barrister on the first day of the case...is that normal?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Yes.

Even one conference before the day of trial is unusual but they would have charged for that.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/