Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have been keeping my horse on a livery yard and I gave

Customer Question

Hello, I have been keeping my horse on a livery yard and I gave notice a few days ago. They have since sent me my final invoice which includes a charge for the remainder of November. A notice period charge was not agreed upon verbally or in writing. I asked several times for a contract which was never given to me. The yard manager is now threatening to withhold my property until it is paid. He has been immovable in conversation. I have already spoken to citizens advice and told him this, however he is still claiming to be in his right to claim the money and hold something to ransom.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Both parties are in Warwickshire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have spoken via WhatsApp and Messenger
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 11 days ago.
Hi ,thank you for your message. Can I confirm what property is he threatening to keep?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Eithervmy horse or my rugs and tack etc
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. As there is no contract in place he has no claim.I would recommend that you:
1) write them a letter setting out your claim and what you want from them. Let them know that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action.
2) if the matter goes to court the judge is likely to award an order in your favour for the return of your property.
3) if you want a solicitor to represent you in court you will need to find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org you will be able to search by area and expertise.
4) you can also instruct a solicitor to write the letter outlined under point 1 above.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.

Hi, hope all is well. I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.