Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

We were in the process of setting up a guaranteed rent

Customer Question

We were in the process of setting up a guaranteed rent scheme an agent, I have sent emails to them confirming the quote and asking for paperwork so that we could proceed, However I never signed or returned any paperwork to set the agents up as our tenner. I have found out today that the agents have acquired keys to the property from a linked company, who had been marketing our property for sale, and they have rented out our property with out our permission, the tenents moved in over the weekend. I no longer wish to proceed with this company due to the breach of trust and wanted to know where we stand legally
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 14 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message
Can I confirm you want to know how to deal with the agent?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Two things really. How to deal with the agents and how to deal with the sub tenants resident in the property
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. In regards to the agents I would recommend the following:

1) write them a letter setting out your claim and what you want from them. Make it clear that there was no contract in place. At the end of the letter let them know that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action.

2) If you do not get the result you want you will need to instruct a solicitor to represent you in court. Based on what you have stated above the judge is likely to grant a decision in your favour. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ you will be able to search by area and expertise.

In regards to the tenants there are strict procedures in place to evict tenants. If you do not want them to live at the property you will need to issue a section 21 notice.

Otherwise, if the matter goes to court you should bring up the issue of the tenants before the judge who may order them to move out by a particular date.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 12 days ago.

Hi, hope all is well. I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.