Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We had a builder whom we paid 95% of the project to,

Hi there, we had a builder whom we paid 95% of the project to, although he had only completed about 70% of the work. It got to the point where his standard of work had dropped significantly. We therefore asked him to leave immediately as we did not want to “throw good money after bad”. We have since called in various tradesmen to complete the work that was still outstanding and remedy the shoddy work that he had done. Please can you advise if there is a timeframe within which we have to apply for what I think is called a CCJ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there, we had a builder whom we paid 95% of the project to, although he had only completed about 70% of the work. It got to the point where his standard of work had dropped significantly. We therefore asked him to leave immediately as we did not want to “throw good money after bad”. We have sincecalled in various tradesmen to complete the work that was still outstanding and remedy the shoddy work that he had done. Please can you advise if there is a timeframe within which we have to apply for what I think is called a CCJ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m still waiting for an answer... can someone please help?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Did you give him the opportunity to remedy the work?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No we were not prepared to because his works had got so shockingly bad that we were not prepared to give him the chance and make our situation even more difficult. For example he laid the bathroom electric underfloor heating under the tiles and we found the temperature sensor in another room still boxed.

He also left us (my two children) with just a toilet working no sink, bath or shower for 6 weeks. So no, we were certainly not prepared to let him remedy it and make an already awful situation even worse

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. What you would be claiming for here is a breach of contract and basically a breach of your consumer rights. Either claim is one which you can make within 6 years so there is no immediate rush and you won’t run out of time any time soon. You should of course try and resolve this with the other side amicably and directly if at all possible, but that may not be possible and eventually you may have no other option left but to make a formal claim. In that case you would have to go to the County Court to take things further and progress the claim. You can do this online via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Ben, sorry for not replying sooner and thank you for your response. I want to share the information you provided with my husband and see if he has any further questions. I will revert back to you as soon as possible. Thank you again.

No worries at all, thank you