How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66668
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a complicate situation, sterted 3 yeas ago as i borow

This answer was rated:

I have a complicate situation , sterted 3 yeas ago as i borow money to some "friends" trying to help them as they promised back my money . I have asked them many time using messages in messenger as we don't meet face to face . Since they took the money they never give back to me not even a small part . I am alone in UK and they took advantage of this , being sure nobody can defend me and questioning them about the money . They were sure i can't do nothing to recover them as they promised many time to return and never happened. More then that i told them i plan to live and i want my money , as response they reported me on social media (Facebook) and my account was blocked , losing the contact with them . The husband is working in the same company but never sayed a word to me regarding the problem . And i don't want to start a fight at work as is not appropriate and professional . The amount was 500 pounds and i have got by chance 90 pounds for my rent they payed . The rest of them i never saw them . Please i need an advice regarding this problem
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Peterborough
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: In just sent them messages on messenger and they reported me as spam
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just i need to know if i can recover this money . I found out recently that the wife has been involved in Romania in some kind of the same problems and also she has a criminal record for something . I don't know to many details regarding this

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Are they in the UK? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My name is Ana
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are in UK

Thank you. If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the answer is very satisfying . And how i start to do this ? As they report my Facebook as spam and probably they use this to say they can not get in touch because i actually bloked them , which is not true ? They know where i am living and her husband works in the same company as i do . About expences i have to pay as i don't afford a lawyer ? How can i deal with that ?

You have to use whatever means you have to communicate with them. Even if it means handing them a letter in person in the workplace. As to expenses it actually won’t cost much to claim – if you are claiming £500 you have to pay a claim fee of £35 and then if it goes to a hearing – a fee of £55. If you win, these get added to the total owed. You also do not need to use a solicitor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much for the time spent on my case was very useful

All the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mr Ben Jones thank you for the time and the professionalism , you helped me a lot today

You are most welcome

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you