Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

My previous employer supplied me with a company car, but

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my previous employer supplied me with a company car, but never paid the company car tax, I now have a massive bill for this, although I never used this for personal use. Is it usual for business not to deduct company car tax from salary? as my another employer did when I had personal use included.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not with a lawyer but I did with the employer, but was never told that they do not deduct at source
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: No to all
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have P11D from the employer stating nothing was paid, but need to know who is liable, and whether employers should pay this at source
Hi, thank you for your message.
Can I confirm is there a contract in place?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There was a employment contract, but nothing mentioned in the print
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I only need to know if there is a legal requirement for companies to deduct company car tax at source

Hi, thank you for your message. As an employee you pay tax on company benefits such as cars. Your employer should have taken the tax you owe from your wages through Pay As You Earn (PAYE). I would recommend that you write them a letter setting out your claim and what you want from them i.e repayment arrangement.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Hi, hope all is well. I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.