How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6920
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I just left this room, the person who posted the advert to

Customer Question

Good morning, I just left this room, the person who posted the advert to spareroom website is not property owner, they did not want to sign a formal agreement with me for renting the room which i assume was to avoid having written proof of the agreement and deposit amount which they did sign in the end. they told me that my possesions had to be hidden from their landord which is worrying and both entered my room and moved my things while i was not there.I am concerned they do not have the owners permission to sub let and as such are behaving in a manner as to hide this from them, and leaving anyone who sub lets from them without the security a formal agreement would afford them.He has since my moving ceased all contact and has not returned my deposit either. Could you please advise me as to what i now need to do to have this returned.Kind regards Nemanja Bakalic
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Feltham, London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Texting Spare room and person refusing to return my deposit
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Mail address***@******.***
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.


How much deposit did you pay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

I would advise you to write a letter to this person asking for your money to be repaid within 14 days failing which you will take legal proceedings against them.

If they still fail to refund your money, you may file a claim online at

All the best. Please click on 5 stars if this helps.