JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

EDF induced me to change my tariff by sending brochure

Customer Question

EDF induced me to change my tariff by sending brochure saying:'would you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: like to save £30.60- and get energy for free...we'll make sure you start to benefit from unit rates 2.5% below your current prices. they then in the following month increase my standing charge by 18% and mu unit price by 5%. is this not a clear misrepresentation? I am CV 37 8UB
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to one of their employees called Francesca, who understands my complaint but maintains that it is all approved by Ofgem. She admits that our old tariff has been closed and that they knew the standing charge would be increased but chose not to mention it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

It does sound to me like misrepresentation in contract law.

How much have you lost as a result of this?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I wish to be put back on the on the original tariff where I would still be but for the misrepresentation
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

OK, thanks - I am unclear if you have already made a complaint to EDF?

If not, you can make a formal complaint first of all to EDF here:

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/making-complaint

If that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to Ofgem (their regulator) - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a cancellation of the new tariff. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

You can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here : http://www.ombudsman-services.org

There isn't another remedy here unless you have incurred a financial loss in which case you can pursue them in small claim via the http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk site (which is easy to use - no lawyer is required).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

I hope I have helped.

Before you go please don't forget to rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars on screen and clicking “submit”.

Many thanks,

Jim