How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6639
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'd like to leave all my possessions to my Mother and Sister

Customer Question

Hi, I'd like to leave all my possessions to my Mother and Sister in my Will and I'd like them to decide what to do with it, ie sell, retain, etc. However, the way my Solicitor has drafted it sounds like my Trustees will have the power to make the decisions and my named Beneficiaries will merely be informed of this. Could you suggest a clear way to word my wishes so that there is no room ambiguity, please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've had an initial meeting with a local Solicitor who then sent me a draft Will
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I think my Will should be very straightforward, as I am single and without children and would like to leave everything I own to two closest relatives
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.



You may propose the following wording:


1. I GIVE DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my Estate not hereby or by any Codicil hereto otherwise disposed of unto my mother and sister absolutely in equal shares as when and how they shall think fit to call in sell and convert into money such part thereof as may not consist of money with power to postpone such sale calling in and conversion in whole or in part for such period as they without being liable to account for the exercise of discretion in so postponing may think proper and with power to retain any part thereof in the same state of investment as at my death.


I hope this helps. Please click on 5 stars