Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I too am being pestered by Global Capital Holdings to send

Customer Question

I too am being pestered by Global Capital Holdings to send over @2000 to release escrow funds. Is this defiunitely a scam?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: sent me invoice for insurance and transportation of fine wines I invested in years ago with Bordeaux Fine wines who went bust.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

How did they contact you? Please provide any telephone number, name and email address you may have so that I may advise

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Mr Brown 0207 459 4063. letter from director Faisal Lalani
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no phone call
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. This certainly looks like a scam, which is clear from what has happened so far. This particular type of scam is better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are countless variations of such scams, the best way to determine if this is one is by identifying certain 'red flags' which are often present in the build-up. The following are the most common ones and if they have occurred in this situation then it is almost guaranteed it is a scam:

{C}· Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be a cold-call. In this case you have lost out in an investment in the past and they are trying to make it look like there is some light at the end of the tunnel and recover it

{C}· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, such as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.

{C}· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as the money can potentially be collected using false identities, it is extremely difficult to trace them that way and you also get no fraud protection.

{C}· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new issues, which have suddenly arisen.

So in summary, if an unknown person contacts you to promise you money but asks you to pay them something in advance, whatever the reasons – you basically know it is a scam. Do not proceed any further with this. Do not continue communicating with them and certainly do not send money if asked to.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you