Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

After having some issues with a plumber/bathroom fitter,

good afternoon, after having some issues with a plumber/bathroom fitter, starting off with poor level of work, and then 2 safety issues (glass door unsupported) and badly and unsafely hung bathroom door we decided to call it a day and let him go. After having some initial legal advice, i was told that i dont have to let him back in the house, because of the safety issues, get a quote to get the room in a fair and reasonable state, pay for this and what ever is left out of the money - pay the initial bathroom fitter. am i right in thinking that i was ok not allowing him back to sort the works out, i have children in the house and what he left with the glass panel unsupported (but told it was ok to use) and the door - he had taken the bottom off with a Jigsaw and hung with only 3 short screw, rather than the 9 counersunk screw , the door was hanging from the frame, and the plumber didnt think it was even an issue.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: he has sent us an invoice for the full remaining amount, plus now claiming for extra days works and more materials. despite his quotation clearly stating that all works and materials are included. I have written back to him advising that this is in dispute and that we are in the process of sorting costs out the get the room into a reasonable state, sending him photos of the issues, highlighing again that some of the works are unsafe and unacceptable that one once quotations are received, i will then pay him the remaning monies
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i cant thik of anything.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm at work at the moment, so not really able to take telephone calls

Just to clarify, was he willing to redo the work?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
yes

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he gave us options of repairing the door, paying for someone to come and replace the door and then he reduced his invoice by a reasonable amount so we could sort someone to do the fix. i dont really want him in the house, he hasnt acknowledge the safety issues - and after having had antother plumber around to have a look, he;s highlighted other issues he has picked up on, for example the soil waste pipe hasnt been installed inline with Building standards. can i, as a comsumer - do i have the right to say that i dont want him back in the house because of the safety issue please

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

{C}· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If the trader refuses to resolve the issues, or it is not reasonable to have them back, such as due to serious health and safety issues so far or a complete breakdown of trust, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
resolved thank you.

All the best