UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I had invested in art exactly 2 yrs ago, and now checking up

Customer Question

I had invested in art exactly 2 yrs ago, and now checking up on it with the aim of selling it. Only to discover that I do not have the art I paid almost £20k for but instead 11 pieces of limited prints. Now to be told I must add to my portfolio to sell. .. is that legal.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Spoke to no one yet as want some advice first. I like Uk. It a London firm my art is with.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None other trying to get some help from the firm, As I do not intent to invest anymore they stated yesterday they will send me my prints and that the end of my association with them. But at last minute George states you know you won't get as much as you think, I have been so disappointed.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had that investment set aside for travelling to Australia in Feb.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 7 days ago.

Were you mis-sold the artwork? Who is the company?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The company is Smith & Partner Ltd. 164_180 Union St. Unit213 London SE1 OLH. . I signed a purchase order dated 20 9 2017 for 1 Purchase of Mixed Media Limited Edition Print Package(To include Vincent Van Gogh) but was never told until lately that my portfolio is 11 prints of The Greatest by Sidney Morary and i can not sell them until i add more to this package. Personell have all changed over the 2 years aswell. In fact they sent me a Van Goth book at the time. Ps. I could have bought these prints on line for 1300 USD myself if i had of wanted them.
Mary Magee

In that case, you may argue that you were misrepresented and you should ask for your money back on the basis of misrepresentation.

If they refuse to refund you, you may need to take legal proceedings against them in court.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What steps shall i take now then

You should send them a letter before action informing them that you were misrepresented by them contrary to the Misrepresentation Act and that you wish to treat the purchase as null and void and that you would like a full refund of your money within 14 days failing which you may take legal proceedings.

You may use this site to draft a letter before action:

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/gb/en/documents/letter-before-action

If they fail to pay, you may then file a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All the best. Please click on 5 stars