F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My husband has filed for a divorce, I dont work he has left

Customer Question

My husband has filed for a divorce, I dont work he has left the family home, and this has gone up for sale, My husband has his own Company, he does not give me any money, I am getting £291 per month benefits, my husband is still financially secure, I dont get any access to his money or the business, how can I file my petitionwhen I dont have money to fight the divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I dont understand them, I have received the papers from my husbands solicitors, the papers have to be filed by 3rd December but I dont know what to do and my husband is praying on my weakness as I am not computer literate we have a date for the 7th January*****mediation
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I have tried but I cant seem to get anyone to help as I dont have any available funds, the only money I have is the assets to the house when the home is sold
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband filed an assault charge on me in February 20149 as I found out my husband was hiding money through our children, a fight broke out between us and I hit my husband with a candle, causing a head would and my husband had me arrested. I have suffered financial abuse and domestic abuse from my husband but tried to cover this up and work at my a marriage, I retaliate the first time and my husband has me arrested, I feel this was planned
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

how long were you together and married in total?

how old are the children and are you the main carer?

has he been abusive verbally/physically/mentally/emotionally over the course of your marriage?

so you feel you have been controlled by him?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes he was very controlling paid all the bills but kept me short of money always in control of finances never for spoke for weeks on end worked long hours mentally abused me
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

Are you free to speak on the telephone now?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Leave it I am broke
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

No problem.

If you give me the rest of the information I asked for, we can continue on here.