Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If a contract has been breached. Is a letter to terminate

If a contract has been breached. Is a letter to terminate the contract enough or would I need to take the matter further?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United kingdom
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I told them I wasn't satisfied with the service several times and the quality of work is still poor
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its for a domestic clean. There's a duties list and this is meant to work as a tick box for cleaners to ensure the quality is the same every time. But this tick list is not adhered to. Contact states that I can cancel with immediate effect provided I gave them 4 weeks notice prior sending a termination of contract. I have done this...

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Are you able to upload a copy of the contract on here?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have uploaded

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. According to the contractual terms, you can cancel the contract in the event of a material breach by them with 4 weeks’ notice in writing. You would have been expected to give them a reasonable opportunity to rectify these issues but if they have failed to do so then the notice is enough to cancel the contract. You do not have to do anything apart from that if all you wanted to do is cancel the contract and the written notice is enough.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes thank you. I only wrote the notice last Thursday, so it is not enough time, I will wait.

Kind Regards,

Happy

All the best