How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6362
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My 18 year old son has been in a relationship with a girl

Customer Question

Hi my 18 year old son has been in a relationship with a girl who has a little girl from a previous relationship. Some unexplained marks appeared on her and she was placed with the maternal grandmother. My son looked after her for an hour or so on the day the mark was noticed (amongst other parties) and he has been asked to attend a family court hearing on Monday. It also turns out that his girlfriend has told her social worker that my son hit her during an argument, this is not true, she actually hits him. I am very worried that he is being made a scapegoat in this situation and as he has started an apprenticeship 2 months ago & turned 18 one month ago he is not entitled to legal aid. He needs to pay £500 for a solicitor to attend with him on Monday and he just hasn’t got the money and neither do I as I don’t work due to ill health and was medically retired 3 months ago. I feel she has all the support and he has nobody
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: His girlfriend has attended*****sessions which he was not asked to go to but he was hand delivered a letter last week asking him to attend this one and they advised him to get legal representation
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: he lives in the United Kingdom and it’s Gloucester family court
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can thubj
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, you mentioned she hits him would he be prepared to state that to a lawyer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so. I have advised him to end the relationship as it’s been very difficult right from the beginning but he seems reluctant too
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, the reason I ask because if he is subject to domestic violence or has been then he can get free legal advice on legal aid. Therefore, I recommend he gets a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case family law. He should make sure he gets one who does legal aid work in domestic violence cases. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.