UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I understand that the value of shares in a private trading

I understand that the value of shares in a private trading company are 100% protected against Inheritance Tax. As I am owed a substantial sum from my Director's Loan Account I have in mind converting some of this into shares. Would such "extra" shares be similarly protected? And if so, could this be accomplished by a simple book transfer?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Still awaiting your response.

Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok to wait.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Still awaiting 13.20 07/11/19
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Still awaiting your answer 17.20 07/11/19 I'll pay double if I get an answer within the next hour

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Find somebody please (maybe Big Duck) sooner rather than later. Thank you

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Yes, shares in a private company qualify for 100% Business Relief for inheritance tax purposes as long as you own the shares for 2 years before you pass away.

Your loan can be converted to equity i.e. shares in the company and if you live for 2 years after the debt is converted to equity, the shares will be exempt from IHT.

Further information appears here: https://www.gov.uk/business-relief-inheritance-tax/what-qualifies-for-business-relief

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience