Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Is it fraud and/ or a criminal offence to pay in a cheque in

Customer Question

Is it fraud and/ or a criminal offence to pay in a cheque in joint names to a sole name bank account in one of the joint names without the other party’s permission. Thank you in advance for your response
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: Aside from the fact I was the party who didn’t provide permission and the cheque was for circa £1000. Does the bank have any liability here and what recourse do I have.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Was the money intended for both?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Then yes, its theft. The bank account was sole and not joint.

The cheque was made out to both. So yes, it could be theft.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.