How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4752
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have a house with me ex partner, we both contribute

Customer Question

I have a house with me ex partner, we both contribute equally to it, were not married, and she has 2 children from a previous relationship, however I've been with her for 5 years, they call me dad, I'm a father figure too them, as they have never had anything to do with there biological father. Were struggling to come to any agreements regarding the house, she wants to keep it and buy me out, and I've also said I have an interest in keeping it as well. I dont feel like she can afford to keep it because she's on a lower income, and I've put a lot of time and work into the house, I like the area, and I'm happy where I am. If it went to court because we cant agree, would the courts give the rights to my ex because she has two children or is that not the case? If it is the case, would it be a 50/50 split of the house, because at the moment, I dont feel that I would come away with enough equity to be able to move into another place, where as she would already be settled in our current place. I paid for 90% of the deposit when we bought, would a 60/40 split seem outrageous or would a court throw that out and say 50/50 even though as I said, I put more deposit down, I need another deposit on a new house, il also have more legal fees in solicitors when I buy a new place etc.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps this is very early days
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Not yet I wanted to see what legal rights I had first.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, are you both named on the house deeds?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we are
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cant call this week, I'm working abroad.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, so the starting position would be a 50/50 split although you can argue you need more given your contributions. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.