Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Easy jet lost my luggage, they are offering me £75 for the 3

Easy jet lost my luggage, they are offering me £75 for the 3 days. I went for a weekend for a wedding, drinks party and black tie dinner. I feel they should be paying more than this.
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Easyjet are in Gatwick, London.
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: They asked me to report it and give them the details and receipts for all the money I spent.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok

How long ago was this and what have they based their offer on?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Ben, the wedding was 27 September - 29 September. They based their offer on their usual terms.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was travelling to Slovenia. I checked in at Gatwick on their automated service. My husband was arriving later and when he tried to put his bag on they said that two bags had already been put on my ticket which was not true as I only had one bag. The easyjet official said that he would sort it out and not to worry. My husband gave him a description of my bag and the official said he would find the other bag and remove it from the flight. He removed the wrong bag, he removed my bag. The official said that on this new system this happened a lot. I spent over £2000 on clothing that I had already bought in my lost luggage.

Many thanks for your patience. Your rights here are not just going to depend on their terms but also on law, specifically the Montreal Convention. The maximum you may get for any lost luggage, regardless of the contents, is around £1000. If your luggage is worth more than that you would have been expected to get your own travel insurance.

Be advised though that the above limit is the absolute maximum limited by law and rarely are passengers compensated all the way to that limit. Also, airlines do not allow for “new for old” replacement when considering the value of your claim. They will look at the value of the item based on its age when lost. So if you had to buy new items to replace older ones, you will not get the new replacement costs. Also you would be required to provide proof of ownership of the items in the luggage, they won’t just take your word for it so that could also limit how much you may recover.

You should go through the airline’s own complaints procedure to the fullest and after that your only option is the Small Claims Court.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do have receipts for a lot of the clothing in my luggage as I bought the items especially for the wedding. How do I find out who to contact at Easyjet as in their own complaints procedure, I think that was what I did. Do you think if I copy my receipts of the items in my bag (the new items) then that would help my claim. Can you help me to word a letter that I can send to them in order to make them realise that I am not going to settle with just £75.

As we are just a basic Q&A site I cannot draft letters for you and can only point you to your legal rights and position. You could however use something like Resolver which takes on complaints for free:

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/easyjet-complaints

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?