Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have two unrelated questions that I need to rtesolve. Can

I have two unrelated questions that I need to rtesolve. Can I start now with the first one?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London Hackney
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not taken any steps, just tried to resolve myself
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What are your questions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
First is as follows: We are freeholders of a converted property which has two flats. The ground floor was sold. The lessee has been complaining that he had three incidents of a leak from the upstairs flat in 3 years. Once because of the boiler, and last year a broken pipe. Recently a blocked pipe from the bath upstairs cause a leak on their kitchen ceiling. We sent a builder to repair. He has been emailing us with a whole lot of complaints that we do not manage the property properly and he had to call a builder to clear the gutters of the leaves(we were not notified of this), and he wants to know what steps we are taking to make sure that leaking incidents should not happen again in the future, and what compensation are we giving him for the inconvenience he had. What are my rights and duties of this?

Thank you. As this is not my area of law, I will opt out for another expert. Many thanks

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you with this.

What specifically is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I want to make clear what right does he have to ask for compensation? Is he not supposed to let us know if the gutters are blocked ?

So he knew it was like this but failed to say anything? For how long?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He claims that we are negligent in dealing with repairs and he wants compensation. Has he the right to do this?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He asked his builder which was doing anyway work in his house to go on the ladder and clean the gutter. Probably the gutter was just blocked from the recent rain and wind

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
sorry but I did not get a reply. Are you still there?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hallo??? are you there

Yes. I asked how long he knew about this?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
about what? about the gutter problem or the leak? I do not understand your question

The gutter problem and the leak

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the leak problem happened in early October, and we were notified straight away and sent a builder immediately and the gutter problem we did not know about it till last week

Ok. Then no, they are not entitled to compensation.

You have to be on notice, do nothing and then damage caused.
If you were not on notice, how you could be expected to know?
So in those circumstances, there is no valid claim against you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I ask another question? Are Council Tax allowed to send us now a bill from an enforcement company(bailiffs) to charges related to 2001?

If they have a liability order, yes

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but how many years are we supposed to keep our records for? we do no know whether we really owe it to them
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No we never received a liability order from anyone! The letters from the enforcement company just came out of the blue!

Yes, you need to ask the Council.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What should I ask precisely?

A copy of the order