F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Is it illegal for personal items to be left off a probate

Hi is it illegal for personal items to be left off a probate form even tho the items are roughly worth between £10000-£15000, bank account money has been put on, can these items be sold separate even tho they belonged to the deceased. Thanks

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

items worth £10k-£15k? what are they?

can you give me all the background here please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
3 motorbikes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My brother told me he was going to sell them and put the money alongside his pension at a later date, I thought it was illegal not declaring all the assets through probate.

The short answer to your question is, yes it is. It is tax evasion if any inheritance tax is due on the value of the estate and its potentially fraud if one of the beneficiaries is disadvantaged by this.

Your understanding is absolutely correct.

If your brother is the executor there is nothing to stop him buying the assets but he would need independent valuations or valuations agreed by all of the beneficiaries.

Unless the assets were left to him in the will then unless there is an agreement with the other beneficiaries, they have to be sold although he can buy them but even then, the value still needs to be declared for probate purposes.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My brother with the bike issue is the deceased, his partner is the executor, myself and my other brother and executer are beneficiaries,he has roughly £90000 in bank, was allowed to cash in insurance as had terminal cancer, I want his assets done fair which doesn’t compensate for my loss. Thanks

The assets are inherited in accordance with the terms of the will or if there is no will, the rules of intestacy.

Nothing will compensate for the loss.

I’m not certain exactly what the problem is that I haven’t covered in my previous reply.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That’s fine. Thanks.