chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I live in hackney London in a building upside a restaurant.

Hi, I live in hackney London in a building upside a restaurant. The restaurant is currently doing renovation works and looking at the plans they have shared with me I see a Fire Exit door that opens directly into a garden of my property.According to my lease no one can have access to that garden and my concern is that such a door will infringe my rights every time it is opened. Is this normal? Can I do something to close that door?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have only written an email to the council building control
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer:***** London, E8 4AE
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have attached also the property lease where it says that no one can access the garden for any other reason that inspecting the extractor, and the restaurant plans.

Have you spoken with the restaurant owner about this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes I did. and I looked that door from the garden nor in order to avoid them enter in the garden. The door has always been there but previously it was not classified as an emergency exit. I am worried now that with them classifying it as an emergency exit, I need to grant them access to the garden
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Chatham, did you have a look at the document as well?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, any update?

If it is to be used as an emergency exit, it would mean that the area around the door, inside and out, will have to bekept clear for health and safety reasons.

It may be worth you raising this with the health and safety department of your local council.

I hope this answers your question. if so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

How else can I assist with this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I understand that if it is used as an emergency exit, it would mean that the area around the door, inside and out, will have to bekept clear. My question is more what I can do to stop this. The door opens into a private property, is the council that need to be notified of this irregularity?

Yes, I believe it is the local council whom need to be informed of this. You can take action against the restaurant owner by filing for an injunction, however, this is only likely to be a temporary measure.

You need the local council to agree that it is a health and safety issue. If they agree, it will give you the ammunition you need to possibly have the access route extinguished.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thanks

Its a pleasure.

Good luck!