Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Basically, the question is - is a trade union legally

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Basically, the question is - is a trade union legally obliged to ballot its members on a pay offer
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I believe a corrupt union lay rep is trying to tell member a fib - nothing was agreed with Managment, HR or a lawyer
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: all unionised employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: could i ask the lawyer's fee for my question
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Please provide some more information, including why this is being done?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The basic background is a union-employer pay negotiation. The company made a first offer with no pay rise but changes to t&c's. They then made a second offer with a small pay rise. A lay union rep is saying that there is no legal choice but to ballot on the offer.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, there is no legal requirement that a pay increase offer be put to members. Ultimately, whether or not an offer should be put to members will be determined by the executive of the union and its own internal rules. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.