Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I signed up with thomson local for SEO Services. As part of

I signed up with thomson local for SEO Services. As part of their contract they were supposed to provide monthly reports which thet never did and there was no way for me to see any results. For this reason I request that my contract be cancelled as they were also taking additional money out of my account that was not authorised. The account manager who was in charge of my account stated that as they had messed up he would offer a option of Pay Per Click as a trial that I could opt out of at any time. When that did not work after I month he stated that he would cancel the contract forthwith and would receive formal notification. I then received an invoice and attempted to contact my account manager. This was over the Christmas period. When I eventually managed to track him down, he stated that Thomson advised him that they were restructuring and should not contact any clients during this period. He was subsequently made redundant without the opportunity to action the cancellation. I have sent Thomson Loca confirmation of this as he sent them a letter to this effect but Thomsons will not accept it. Please advise my legal status. I am aware that the contract was for 12 months but they are in breach of this as they never forwarded reports in a timely matter and I have the letter that states that my contract would be cancelled. Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I forwarded the letter from the Account Manager. I made the an offer to pay one month cancellation of the original contract. I requested a meeting be set up between a senior member of staff with myself and the account manager present. They refused.I have requested a SAR relating to my contract. Despite acknowledging receipt of the SAR request, and stating that the information would be provided within 1 month they have sent my details to a Debt Collection agency.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do have I have a leg to stand on

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

How long ago was this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My contract with Thomson Local started in June 2018. The Dispute stated in November 2018

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You can rely on the discussions and promises by the manager you communicated with, even if he has now left. As he would have had the authority to make such decisions, they will be binding on the company, even if they do not agree to it. What you would have to do is consider to still proceed with the cancellation and not pay anything further and leave the matter in their hands to take further as they see fit…if at all.

If they are not paid for the contract then it is up to them to pursue you. They may make threats and demands but unless they go to court and win, they cannot force you to pay. Even if they do claim, it would be in the Small Claims Court and you won’t have to pay their legal costs even if you lose. So it maybe a risk worth taking if you are adamant you want to cancel.

Does this answer your query?

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you