12826847

Last year the police came to my house, I was on the verge of

Last year the police came to my house, I was on the verge of a psychotic break and was think img my baseball bat was a rifle. I was in my home but convinced I was shooting snipers. I was pepper sprayed, held to the ground and handcuffed from behind despite suffering seizures. They took my bat but it’s took me a year to find out they destroyed it. Can they do this and I was hospitalised
Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: no charges filed
Assistant: Where did this occur?
Customer: in my home
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: why wasn’t my husband given the crime and property ref which I only just found out I had

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

you mean can they destroy the bat?

Thanks for the information

It rather depends what happened but almost certainly.

If there was a conviction they could have been given a forfeiture and destruction order but mostly likely it was destroyed as it was used to commit a criminal offence and therefore did not have a lawful purpose.

Baseball bats have a legitimate purpose when used in the course of legitimate baseball. Normally though they are accompanied by a glove, a ball and suitable clothing.

When used in a way that might be considered a firearm at police officers that is not really lawful. They are entitled to dispose of property used in that way.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No charges where brought. Was taken to hospital. Not in public place. Was not swinging it round as looking outside my window for snipers. Don’t understand an ex police officer said it should have been returned and my husband told it would be returning
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do not want a phone call text is fine as I don’t sadly have £44

What were you doing with it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thinking it was a rifle kneeling on the floor

Yes, that is against the law.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But I was mentally ill and hit no one why destroy my bat

Doesn't that rather suggest they should be destroying it rather than that should be giving it back?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do not require phone call eithe

No, that is no problem.

You can get a refund on that by emailing customer services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
An ex police officer said it should have returned as no charges and did not swing it around
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Where do I email customer service please

Then that is wrong.

[email protected]

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What’s wrong what the retired police officer said, they told my husband I’d probably get it back in a few days
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What is wrong
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do you now not answer as I need to clear up who is wrong
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Who is wrong

Anybody who says that they did not have a ground to destroy a baseball bat used in this way is wrong.

I suspect he didn't have full information.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Wrong he said it was because no charges and home isn’t a public place.

Wrong.