ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

My children live in Ethiopia and I am on the uk now trying

Customer Question

My children live in Ethiopia and I am on the uk now trying to get there first British passports but it will take 3 months and the country is under a state off emergency... I am very worried about my children and want to know if I can get them an emergency passport
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Well I was trying to send there passports from here but it’s not possible I have to send for them in Ethiopia which doesn’t make sense because they are British citizens from me.. I live in the uk and I am a British citizen
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: And they are with my ex partner there father and he is mentally abusing them by drinking and fighting around them an so on
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to em to see if I can assist.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Do they have british citizenship at present or are you in the process of applying for it?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
In the process off applying for it
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The difficulty you may have is that the children are not yet British citizens. This is alll still subject to an application process which theoretically still has to be approved. Until that happens, the UK is not responsible for them and as such cannot take steps in there interest in Ethiopia.

You will need to make the application for their citizenship as soon as possible. Once that is obtained you may be able to contact the British High Commission in Ethiopia to inform them of the two children and the urgency within which you need to have them moved. While you may do this you may find that once you obtain their citizenship it is a relatively quick process to obtain their passport which would enable them to travel.

I hope I was able to put things into perspective for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best
RL