ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

My tenant rented mybflat under false pretences saying he has

Customer Question

My tenant rented mybflat under false pretences saying he has plenty of money as he has a window replacement business but I find he is claiming benefit but has not given the rent/deposit to me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in London The flat is in Eastbourne
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked him for it. he said deposit of £500 would be in my account on 18th August
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is only the tip of the iceberg because he is an alcoholic. smokes in a non smoking household, brings in homeless people each evening where they have noisy drinking parties and play loud music, he is aggressive and swears at inmates who are terrified for their lives. That's all !!!
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Did you have a written agreement in place?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yes with one months notice, no noise, no smoking, no loud music 6 months shortfall £525 a month £500 deposit latter not given this was on the 18th August2019
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Kindly give me a minute to review and type a response. As this is an email service there may be a slight delay in my response to you. It doe snot mean I am not here.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

The agreement was signed in August? is that correct?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
yes
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If the tenant has broken the conditions of his lease you may give him notice to leave the premises. You must be very careful to follow the correct procedure in order for any notice given to be valid.

For short term tenancies you are usually required to give the tenant a section 21 notice in a Form 6A. Please see below link for a copy of the form as well as notes on how to complete:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assured-tenancy-forms#form-6a

You must give your tenant at least 2 months' written notice and you are not required to give a reason for deciding to evict him.

If the tenant does not leave at the end of the notice period you may apply to the court for a possession order. You may apply for this by following the below link:

https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/accelerated-possession-orders

You must apply for this within 6 months of serving the section 21 notice. If they don't leave by the date set out in the possession order made by the court, you may apply to the court for bailiffs to evict the tenant.

Unpaid rent

With respect to the unpaid rent you may apply to the court to have this paid by the tenant. The tenant would have breached his contract by not making the payment. You may apply via the below link for this.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

i hope I have clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best

RL