How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5263
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I currently have a running dispute with the CSA/CMA who say

This answer was rated:

Hi, I currently have a long running dispute with the CSA/CMA who say I owe £4000. I have sent proof that I don't and they just dismiss it. They appear to be unchallengeable, what can I do?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kettering
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken to them as far up the ladder as possible. Sent them 200 pages if statements, spreadsheets etc. They say it's all been considered, overnight! This proves I've actually overpaid if anything, but still they keep talking money from me.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

can you give me the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK this case concerns 2 kids, case now closed. My ex had the CSA involved since 2003. I do contract work so in and out of work. I've always paid what they asked and every time I was out of work I've immediately told them and cancelled the S.O. On a few occasions I forgot to cancel this so I've actually overpaid. Also she has on several occasions purposely and unneccessarily hospitalised herself (she a nurse) solely to inconvenience me causing me time off work and loss of earnings. Approx 3 years ago she put in a claim for £4000 arrears which the CSA have been recovering. I compiled and submitted 200 pages of bank statements and spread sheet covering all demands and payments from incept. They sat on it for a whole year despite repeated phone calls. Eventually they reviewed it's entirety 'overnight' and said "we've taken that all into account, you still owe £4000! All there in black and white showing I've overpaid and they say I still owe it? No-one wants to know.

I feel this is outside my sphere of expertise and I am therefore going to opt out for another expert to consider.

The thread is now open to all experts.

Please do not reply as a matter of course or courtesy, as it means that the question thread comes back into my inbox.

An expert with the necessary expertise will reply when they are online.


Kind regards

Hello, my namer is Peter, I've been asked to look at this for you.

As regards dealing with the CMS, there are several steps now to take.

The first is to approach your MP and ask them to take this up with the CMS on your behalf.

You also need to submit a formal complaint and ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the arrears amount if you have not already done this.

There are also firms that deal specifically with CMS issues, it may be worth your while contacting one of them to take the case on for you.

An example of such a firm is here:

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yes that's good thanks

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5263
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you