Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I lent a friend some money for 2011 - 2013, I have emailed

Customer Question

i lent a friend some money for 2011 - 2013
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have emailed numerour time , contacted her accountant. I now realise I have gone by the small claims date to make a claim is there anything I can do to try and gt my money back?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Send emails to her, called her soon after the time but as my mother was ill I just didnt have the energy to keep ringing emiling etc
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sent details to her accountant of the debt and she told him she repaid me with jewellery which is un true
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am in the UK
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

How much are you owed in total?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

How much are you owed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
£11860.00
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. If you have missed the court deadline to claim, hen sadly that is the only official way you could have tried to recover any of that money so you are now relying exclusively ion the debtor’s discretion to repay you. It means that if they decide not to pay then you cannot do anything to take it further as the court deadline has been missed. You can still engage debt collectors, but all they do is make threats and demands – they cannot force them to repay you.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Other that debt collector is there nothing I can do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

just keep making reminders and requests yourself, but as mentioned, you can no longer do anything you can do to force them to pay up, it is now entirely up to them.

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you