Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I need some legal advice Assistant: Where are you? It

I need some legal advice
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps yet as it is not directly concerning me
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

What is your question in relation to please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My boyfriend is having to deal with crown court, as his past relationship was problematic. He has applied for legal aid and declared his income and outgoings. They are asking me to declare my incomes
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We have no joint account

OK thank you. As this is not my area of law, I will opt out for another expert. Many thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
And we have been living together since January this year

Hi thank you for your message, the reason they need you to declare your income is because you are in a relationship and living together. In essence, they need to determine his ability to pay financial penalties such as a fine, this is the same exercise as if you applied for a mortgage together. By way of example let us say you split all the bills and rent or mortgage then his outgoings are reduced and he could potentially pay a larger fine. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I refuse to declare my income?

Hi thank you for your message, yes you can. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this going to have a negative impact on him?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
And thank you for your help I will rate you the 5 stars

Hi thank you for your message, ultimately it is not likely to make much difference either way. This only comes in to play if he was going to get a fine and even then the court can take a view based on his income alone which is after all the proper assessment. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience: Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney