How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6906
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Our new build house have a major water leak because of the

Customer Question

Hello. Our new build house have a major water leak because of the builder's fault. We only moved in for 2 months, Now it is not in a living condition. It will take months to repair. I would like to know, apart from get it repaired by the builder, what compensation we can get?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I haven't
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: I tried to contact the developer. They promise to cover all the repair cost and cover our hotel. However they haven't come back to me since Monday and we haven't got any help yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I think that's basically what happened. I just would like to know what right we have and what compensation we should get. Thank you
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.


Is there insurance cover for this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think so
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

You may pay for the expenses such as hotel costs and claim the same back from the developer, even if it means going to court to get an order/judgement against the developer.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can I get any money compensations?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

Not automatically.

You may mutually agree on such compensation with the developer or you may go to court and make a claim for damages for this.

All the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. How much the compensation is reasonable by the law?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
all our flooring, fittings and contents in ground floor are damaged. We only moved in for 2 months. Now we have to live somewhere else for 1-2 months
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

Damages are normally assessed so as to put you back in the same position had the negligence not occurred.

Please click on 5 stars

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 months ago.

Please leave a positive rating so that I may close this question as it is still open.